Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bicycle Issues at CITY COUNCIL - 10am Febuary 28th ***Has been postponed***

I am just leaving the original message about this up and editing it, so everyone know that it has been postponed. This is the email I got this morning.

OLC

Greetings all!

In last month's newsletter, we announced that at the February 28th City Council meeting there would be on the agenda:

1) The presentation of the Street Smarts Task Force: The task force was created in response to the proposed helmet law in 2006 and is proposing comprehensive improvements in infrastructure, education, and enforcement efforts in Austin that IF approved by council will be a mandate to city government to bring about these changes that will benefit all cyclists. See http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/council/streetsmarts.htm for more info.
2) The Yellow Bike Project long term lease on City land: YBP has been working with the city for over a year to find a suitable home for our new shop once the current 51st street shop has been demolished. Our search has led us to a site at East 12th and Webberville for which we have been working with Public Works and Austin Energy towards a lease agreement. If the lease is secure YBP will build a 3000 sq ft facility on the site as its new headquarters. WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT AT CITY COUNCIL TO SHOW COUNCIL HOW IMPORTANT YBP IS TO AUSTIN BICYCLISTS!
It has come to our attention that BOTH of these items have been postponed. We expect these items to come to council in the next month, and we'll keep you posted with updates in the next newsletter.
Thanks for your suppport --

Jennifer Schaffer

Web Servant
Austin's Yellow Bike | www.austinyellowbike.org

"Be the change you would like to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Keep Cycling: it is Undoubtedly the Best form of Activism there is."






So this is a re-post if you will from the yellow bike project

"Two very important issues for bicyclists will be brought to City Council at this meeting. You can show up 3 days prior to the meeting and vote your position on the two issues using the computers in the lobby of City Hall or show up in person to the meeting and speak or just show your presence.

1) The Presentation of the Street Smarts Task Force: The task force is proposing comprehensive improvements in infrastructure, education, and enforcement efforts in Austin that IF approved by council will be a mandate to city government to bring about these changes that will benefit all cyclists.

2) The Yellow Bike Project long term lease on City land: YBP has been working with the city for over a year to find a suitable home for our new shop once the current 51st street shop has been demolished. Our search has led us to a site at 1200 Webberville where we have been working with Public Works and Austin Energy to work out a lease. If the lease is secure YBP will build a 3000 sq ft facility on the site since no building currently exists. "

WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT AT CITY COUNCIL TO SHOW COUNCIL HOW IMPORTANT THIS ORGANIZATION IS TO AUSTIN BICYCLISTS!



I think that if you can make it you should come out. If not go and vote on the position you stand on today or tomorrow.


Now onto other things. As I get older, I have started to realize that body needs a brake every now and then. I have been going none stop without a brake for about the past three weeks and my body, I think, is telling me to slow down. As you know just this past weekend, I put in a 26 mile ride just looking for houses. Not to mention all of my daily riding. So my guess is over the past three weeks, I have probably put in at least...200 miles of riding. Along with kickball going out of town. After kick ball last night, my body this morning is telling me NO. So I am going to listen. Today will be the first day that I have not rode my bike since breaking my hand. It isn't something that I want to do. It is something that I have to do. I feel like I am going to fall apart. I probably don't feel as bad as Jason, but I still feel like shit.

So with that being said, I am going to lounge around the house and do some laundry and clean the kitchen and my room. So I might not have to much to talk about tomorrow. Oh well, I am sure you will get over it.

til next time

OLC

No comments:

Enough Waiting for Bicycle Infrastructure. Click Here to Sign The Austin Bike Plan Petition

Free Web Counter

Free Counter