Wednesday, December 10, 2008

ggrrr on you, asshole in the white car who almost hit me...

I told this to Les yesterday when I picked him up from work, but didn't mention it in the blog. My blog was happy news, and this pissed me off, so I didn't say anything about it, but of course I'm going to today.

Yesterday, when I was on my way home from my ride. I stopped by Seatlle's Best (well, now Texenza Coffee) to rest, drink some water, and talk to my friends. After I left, I was heading east on 5th street, just riding to get home.. not going especially fast or slow, but apparently slow enough for this car behind me. This dude had a stick up his ass. At 5th and some street (the street where the fire station is).. I was already a quarter of the way across the intersection, this guy speeds up from behind me, goes around me and makes a left hand turn in front of me. By doing this, and having little room to do such a move, he came about an inch from hitting me. I started yelling at him.

***It's times like this that I want an air horn for my bike.. If I had my bell on my bike, it would be a nice *ding ding* for me screaming "What the fuck are you doing?!!" as opposed to a nice *roaring squeal* for the same statement.

Anywho, I looked to the left to get this guys' license plate number.. all I could read were the first 3 letters.. so after passing through the intersection, I was pissed. stopped, got off my bike, and ran back to the intersection to see if the guy was still stopped at the light at 6th street. He wasn't, and I saw him driving away, and I was just mad... So I tried and tried to remember his license plate number. As I'm turning around (looking at the fire station), who else do I see than the people who should be looking out for this. A cop. Sitting in his car, facing the intersection where I was nearly mauled down. I just sat there and stared at him for a minute, just trying to understand.

Did he see that car pull from behind and around me to turn across my path? If so, why the fuck didn't he do anything about it? If a car had done the same thing, and they had seen it, I'm sure a ticket would have been issued.

I understand if the cop didn't see it, but c'mon now. You're sitting, facing the intersection. I suppose you're there to catch people who run red lights or are speeding. You're eyes are obviously on the intersection at all times, so what stopped him from seeing this?

Either way, I was going to go up to him and ask if he saw the car, but then where would I go from there? I only remembered it was white, headed north, I had the first three numbers of the license, and it was a dick driver... needless to say, I was pissed and discouraged. So i just rode home thinking about all the asshole drivers in the world that have turned in front of me and in front of other people... notably, Les.. I know he's been cut off more than twice in his life by a car, but the past 2 times have turned out to be rather serious injuries..

So, my purpose of this is to make aware drivers who turn in front of cyclists and to all you who decide to read this. Just please be cautious around cyclists (I know I'm preaching to the choir here).

Pretty soon, my bike is going to be loaded up with 50 air horns and a mega phone.. to let all those, who piss me off on my bicycle, know that they suck ass!!

Oh, Les, the air horn is what I remembered I want for Christmas :) hey, at least I remembered it.


No comments:

Enough Waiting for Bicycle Infrastructure. Click Here to Sign The Austin Bike Plan Petition

Free Web Counter

Free Counter